The culprit was a piece of software common among government agencies. No one should be surprised here. The only surprise is that it did not surface sooner.
I work for a local government agency. We use 3rd party contractors and external services A LOT. We’re always bouncing from one “greatest” solution to the next. The latest “greatest” solution is a forms / workflow service called SimpliGov. Like any external / 3rd party tool it’s not exactly what we need, but we’re making good use of this one.
Life under COVID started out somewhat confusing and slightly ambiguous. In the five months since I started working from home, things have gotten tougher, not easier the longer things stay the same.
Like many IT professionals, I dabble a bit on the weekend. During the week, I’m mostly working in Microsoft Windows environments (I work for a local government agency, hence windows). But at night and on the weekends, I pitch in on some linux based websites (like this one). I had an interesting long-weekend while trying to upgrade Ubuntu on my servers.
If you don’t know who Rodney Dangerfield is, you’re missing out. Now, my life is nowhere near a bad as the life of Dangerfield’s characters. But, man, it feels like it some days.
Windows is very “expensive” compared to Linux for running a simple web server…. Lesson learned.
This morning, I logged on to my Google Analytics account and reviewed my site stats for my various sites. I was shocked when I saw that there were no hits on this site. “What’s going on?” I asked myself. Plenty, as it turns out.
After a year (or more) of struggling with getting good SEO for a website I cobbled together, my client and I have decided to bite the bullet and switch out custom .NET site over to WordPress. This was a much taller order than I had hoped. Worse, we’ve lost some functionality along the way.
A while ago we launched a new website that was built around a core of Google services. This site has some interesting features. Nothing ground-breaking. But it does illustrate just how much you can do with the Google developer APIs.
Recently, I changed website hosting. In doing so, I created some problems for people who were visiting my site that went un-noticed for several weeks. (Not sure if that’s good or bad!). This site is hosted on WordPress. So after I set up my new website’s server software, I exported the content from the website… Continue reading Backslash problems